I was sitting, fur coat and confident; drinking wine and smoking cigarettes; and talking with my neighbors on the porch around midnight last night.
Slowly others found their way onto the porch, and I found myself on a porch with 8 people. My neighbors left, I sat arguing with the others. They were trying to say that anyone who commits a crime deserves to go to jail. And that prisons don't need any work. That they are better than living on the streets and that people who commit crimes don't deserve comfort. I told them about the women who don't have a job in the prison, and the ones who don't have people sending them money while in the prison, and how somehow they have to come up with the money to buy basic needs like tampons. And if they cannot come up with the money then they have to just deal with it. And this girl said, well is they killed their child they deserve to not have tampons. And I almost cried.
A boy said, "when you one day have a child" and I told him I hoped I never would. He asked if I was mentally okay.
Was told I was filled with hate, and when I said that wasn't so, was then told "No, you are filled with hate"
And I responded that I loved america, but I love it enough to know it still needs and requires change. That if I didn't want improvement, maybe I'd be filled with hate, and not love.
I had to leave around that time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment